Originally known as “audioblogs,” podcasts are taking the marketing world by storm. If you have updated your iPhone within the last year, you might have noticed the Podcasts application downloaded to your homepage. But you might be asking yourself, what exactly is a podcast? A podcast is a series of digital audio or video files that a user can download and listen to. They usually tend to be episodic and often available for subscription so new episodes are automatically downloaded for the user. Podcasts are created on a variety of different topics, from religion to crime theory to news.
Podcasting is on the fast track to becoming the newest way to connect with your audience in a meaningful way. Increasingly, businesses are creating podcasts of their own for a few different reasons:
- Podcasts allow businesses to reach a nearly captive audience. Consumers tend to listen to most of the podcast episodes they download and are generally more educated and affluent. They are looking for a podcast that will evoke thought.
- Podcasts can increase reach and grow a brand’s audience. Podcast consumers are always looking for a new series to listen to and if they are even the slightest bit familiar with your brand, chances are they will listen to your podcast. Also, give those who may not be familiar with your company a reason to listen. Draw them in.
- Podcasts make brands more human and approachable to their audience. Consumers of a particular brand sometimes find companies intimidating because they only see their logo without a real person behind it. A podcast gives your company a voice that can influence consumers. This will also allow people to associate your brand with a certain tone and ideas.
- Podcasts establish leadership of thought and allow a business to stand out from their competitors. You are putting your ideas out for anyone and everyone to listen. By doing this, you are associating your brand with certain ideas and contributions, both to society and the corporate world. This allows for a little competition between your company and others in your industry.
TIP: interview experts in your particular industry! This can help your business stand out from your competitors in a fun way.
Podcasts are inexpensive and quick to produce. New to the idea of podcasting? No problem! Contact our POTENZA team today for help and more information!
– Molly Little, Summer Marketing Intern